She is a shining example of a woman who is changing the tech world. With a passion for technology and a master's degree in hand, she embarked on a remarkable journey.
With a passion for technology and a master's degree in hand, she embarked on a remarkable journey. Over the past 13 years, she has held various roles within the telecom industry, which led her to her current pivotal role as a Product Guardian at Tietoevry Create China.
- I had a growing interest in technology and the mechanisms behind it. This eventually led me to study electronic engineering in college, and ignited my passion for pursuing a career in technology, Shangqianzi says.
Shangqianzi's current role isn’t merely confined to designing technical solutions. It involves blending creativity and, problem-solving while working with a team of developers, project managers, and other stakeholders. Together they create innovative solutions that meet client requirements within set timelines and, budgets.
Shangqianzi expressed that her interest lies in exploring emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, to develop innovative solutions for complex problems in the telecom industry. She is always striving to learn and grow in her career. Therefore, her advice to all aspiring women in tech is to cultivate a network of supportive mentors and role models and to never cease their pursuit of knowledge.
- I have not faced difficulties related to being a woman in tech, mainly because the culture of Tietoevry is inclusive, and my managers are open-minded, Shangqianzi says.
- The biggest prejudice about women in tech is that they're not as technically skilled as men. This prejudice is kept alive by unconscious bias and discriminatory attitudes that have no place in a brainpower-based industry, Shangqianzi firmly believes.
As we see, beyond her technical expertise, Shangqianzi has emerged as a passionate advocate for diversity and, gender balance in the tech industry.
- To improve gender balance in tech, it's essential to create a supportive culture that values diversity and inclusivity. Here are some suggestions:
As we emphasize the importance of diversity in tech, it's also essential to foster self-awareness and combat stereotypes and biases. This process begins internally, urging everyone to confront their own self-preconceptions. Shangqianzi's transformative personal experience exemplifies this.
- I was kind of an indoor girl and not interested in sports before. Last summer, I joined a parent-child trip, hiked along the Great Wall of the Han Dynasty, and enjoyed a breathtaking view of the surrounding landscapes. After that, I started to enjoy hiking and exploring the great outdoors. And I learned a lesson from it - don’t easily judge yourself, as you might surprise even yourself with what you're capable of achieving, Shangqianzi ends.